Saturday, October 06, 2012

Public affection

Two boys – possibly young men but they looked still of school age – were sitting holding hands on the bus the other evening.

Actually they were a more snuggled together (but not kissing or snogging) when I got on the bus & made for the seat across the aisle from them; without thinking about it at all I just assumed a boy & girl: it was their later conversation – what language is that? - which drew my attention away from my book.

Sounded to me like they were discussing German homework – unusual these days but why else would they be talking about some nicety of translation into English.

It is of course not the first time I have seen such public demonstrations of affection, even outside such recognised ‘safe areas’ as Manchester’s Canal Street, but the fact that two such young men could feel comfortable doing so on a bus marks something of a step change for me

At least outside, on the street, you can run away if you meet the worst kind of adverse reaction. There’s no escape on the bus. So obviously they weren’t expecting any bother.