Friday, October 05, 2012

Previously in favourite quotations

To say that a man is made up of certain chemical elements is a satisfactory description only for those who intend to use him as fertiliser - Hermann Muller

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy - Christopher Dawson

Useful things disappear more completely than meaningful & pleasurable things. We keep old paintings, jewels & suchlike, but not tools. They disappear as soon as they no longer have practical use - George Kubler

There is no action we can take which has only the effect desired - Michael Frayn

I feel happy & secure when I am in my room, on my bed, with a good book - Francoise Hardy

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food they call me acommunist - Helder Camara

When you stand on a cliff you are not afraid of falling, you are afraid of jumping - Icelandic saying