Thursday, October 04, 2012

On the buses

We had a ticket inspection on the bus one day this week. One passenger asked what it was all about & received a very lucid explanation about the gathering of statistical information about the who, what, when & where of the use of the various kinds of tickets or passes on offer.

Will it be used to take away our passes? the anxious lady asked.

Oh, I don’t think you have to worry about that, he said. I doubt it will happen, not any time soon. There’s so many of you. And you’re vocal

He was a very smartly dressed youngish African man, I suspect a bit overqualified for the job of interviewing for routine passenger surveys, charming & pleasant too – he called me love.

But it was his eyes which most intrigued me – large & round, with very clear whites – white with a distinct tinge of blue – I could almost remember him as having blue eyes.

I may have been primed particularly to notice because the eyes of John Dramani Mahama as a boy which adorns the jacket of his book, My First Coup d’Etat shows similarly clear whites. This is fairly unusual in my expereince, but prhaps I have just got used to seeing what I expect to see, or have just grown out of the habit of looking others in the eye

Related posts
Street manners