Sunday, October 21, 2012

Lily of Laguna

Sir John Major mentioned the song Lily of Laguna during an interview with RTE Radio 1 about his new book on the music hall. I thought to include it as a Favourite Poem, (in the category of songs which meant a lot in my childhood) since it was certainly still popular then & I am sure it was included with the piano music I inherited. The tune, in particular, is one that sticks in my head.

But I got a shock when I went searching for the words: the racially charged language has no place on this blog unless the context justifies it.

I am certain those were not the words in the version I knew, or even as sung by the Black & White Minstrels on the then popular BBC tv show.

I cannot find any sanitised version of the words, so will just settle for the chorus.


She's my lady love,
She is my dove, my baby love,
She's no gal for sitting down to dream,
She's the only queen Laguna knows;
I know she likes me.
I know she likes me
Because she says so;
She is my Lily of Laguna.
She is my Lily and ma Rose.

Links
My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall
Lily of Laguna: Melody & Text - Leslie Stuart 1898 (1863-1928)