Saturday, April 23, 2011

Trying to get away from it all

Virginia Woolf, an educated middle class woman, yearned for a room of her own; George Formby sang of the working class man’s dream of a shed of his own.


MY LITTLE WOODEN TOOLSHED IN THE GARDEN

I get no chance to rest indoors to make me fit for Monday
So planned a wooden toolshed for a quiet nook on Sunday.
I built it in the garden with a lovely southern view.
It's quite a stately edifice and very useful too.

It's really quite top hole for the firewood and the coal
Is my little wooden toolshed in the garden.
The dog can stretch his legs and the hen can lay her eggs
In my little wooden toolshed in the garden.

When my wife starts an argument at which she’s quite a knack
Begins to smash the home up and the crockery to crack
I tell her off quite safely for she cannot answer back
In my little wooden toolshed in the garden


It didn’t all end happily however – you can read the whole song here