Monday, April 11, 2011

Spoylefull

I came across this lovely word while doing something, turning the pages of a printed reference volume, which used to be an almost everyday activity but is now rare in these days of fully-searchable on-line dictionaries.

Spoylefull.

But I was quickly reminded of the frustrations of doing things the old fashioned way. See spoil, was the brusque instruction. More page turning & hunting to do.

Turns out to be a variant spelling of spoilfull from Edmund Spenser, that great contributor to the English dictionary. Means full of spoil. Therefore plundering.

I wonder if William Russell ever used it in his despatches describing the behaviour of victorious British troops in India.

In future, should I feel the need to describe anyone as a spoilt brat, I hope I shall remember instead to call them a spoylefull child.