Thursday, January 20, 2011

Misty for me

Extraordinary weather again at midday today.

I did not notice anything unusual in the village – except that it was extremely cold, frost still riming the front gate.

But only a mile or so north I suddenly wondered if something had gone wrong with my eyes – I could not see anything out of the window. Or rather I could see the trees & the road, but beyond that – nothing.

The window was not dirty & a watery sun was shining brightly overhead out of a washed blue sky.

It was mist – like an aerosol, uniform density, like gauze. Things seemed pretty normal if you looked ahead straight along the road, but we seemed to be eerily alone on either side.

Things got more complex as we reached the stretch where an even more complicated system of valleys leads to the Dark Peak– the mist was gathered more thickly where the land was lowest, filling up the valleys to turn them into blank canvas. And all the time the sun was shining.

As we began to get into the built up area of the city the mist spread more thinly, covering the sun & the sky, not interrupting visibility at all

Related post
Light