Wednesday, October 06, 2010

How to catch your breath

Another one which slipped past all the editorial guardians of a distinguished newspaper. Because it somehow seems more right than the right word.

With baited breath.

If under the influence of awe, terror, or other emotion, your breathing is bated, subdued or restrained - go fishing until you catch it again.

Of course bait brings images of maggots, rotten meat & fish hooks – very bad breath indeed.

On the other hand, to a fish at least, it is alluring, enticing, & attractive

And it is one of those phrases we seem to have Shakespeare to thank for:

Shall I bend low and in a bondman's key,
With bated breath and whispering humbleness, Say this;
'Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last;
You spurn'd me such a day; another time
You call'd me dog; and for these courtesies
I'll lend you thus much moneys'?


Shylock to Antonio Act 1 Scene 3 Merchant of Venice