Saturday, August 07, 2010

Weather forecasts

On Radio 5 this morning those in the studio were admiring weatherman Chris Fawkes ability to present a forecast. Just to show off even more he handed his single sheet of paper to somebody else & did the whole forecast without any notes.

He had his geography of the rain corrected by the person who had the piece of paper.

Oh, said Chris, that is just the model. I am a forecaster; I take account of other information such as what the radar shows is going on.

More evidence that the forecaster is always a part of the system.

Mind you, an experience from yesterday evening reinforces the sympathy one can feel for someone with such a difficult job to do. The bus ran into very heavy rain about 4 miles from home; it was still pelting it down when we stopped in the middle of the village to pick up 3 drowned rats, the windscreen wipers going at full speed.

I zipped up my jacket & pulled up my hood, but then as I walked towards the front of the bus for my stop (only about a mile up the hill) I realised that the wipers had just stopped – no rain was falling there.

But I find from his BBC biography that Chris Fawkes comes from this part of the world, so he will know all about such variable conditions.

Link
Related post