Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shaking thunder




We had a humungous thunderstorm last night, went on for almost an hour.

I thought we might have escaped the threat of occasional heavy showers with a risk of thunder altogether – things had been relatively calm apart from one brief downpour about halfway home from town. The sky was mostly blue over the village, just smallish scattered clouds, some of which were really black & angry. Then just as I reached the side gate the big ploppy drops fell on my head, but at least I was straight away safe inside.

There was not all that much rain, or even lightning, but the thunder just rolled relentlessly round & round the bowl of the hills, then directly overhead for about 20 minutes. Thankfully no absolute cracks of doom to rattle the windows & make me worry about the chimney stack falling down.

But something got shaken too much – Snake Pass was closed by a landslip this morning.