Saturday, June 26, 2010

Radio reception

Can the human body interfere with radio reception? Or rather, how does the human body do this?

A question that sometimes bothers me, when it happens. At certain times I can certainly cause interference with FM reception by moving around the room; some times the only way I can get a clear signal is to find the precise spot at which to hold, with two fingers, the piece of wire which acts as an aerial. Is this something to do with atmospheric conditions or something - metabolic or physiological - about my body? A possibly alarming thought, though not the sort really worth worrying about.

The question did come back into my mind yesterday when listening to callers to Radio 5 talking about the supposed reception problems with the new I phone. At least one caller said he had no difficulty, no matter how or in which hand he held the phone; others claimed a serious problem

Link