Monday, April 19, 2010

Bumpy flight



On 10 April The Times reported that the 270 workers at Gloucestershire Airport, Dowty Propellers were working at full tilt as demand for planes with turboprop engines has been rising.

I wonder if they can expand to produce even more even faster? Since they fly lower than jet planes they might be an answer to volcano dust.

Not sure I should want to go through that again though. They were still pretty common in the 1960s & 70s & I have done my share of time in a DC3, Twin Otter or Cessna.

The main reason for flying higher, or so I was always told, is that fuel consumption is less, at least if the flight is long enough to offset the extra fuel needed for a jet to take off. And of course the other big disadvantage of flying as low as a turbo prop is that it can get VERY bumpy. It is now long enough ago for me to look back with fondness to a complex journey we ended up doing from New York, New York via Syracuse, Buffalo & Albany to Montreal during some heavy wintry weather. On one of the legs the young GI sitting behind us took delight in saying at intervals: I’ve never known a plane shake this much.

Another question about the effects of the flying ban: How is David Cameron getting around the campaign trail?

I have not heard anything about helicopters being used to get people around during the crisis – are they grounded too? We don’t see many round here – and if we do it is usually the air ambulance or police. I believe private pilots prefer to stay away from the hills.

Which reminds me of another story: a local woman answered a knock at her door one evening to find a very apologetic Noel Edmonds; he had landed his helicopter in the field at the back of her house as the lesser of two evils because the clouds had unexpectedly closed in.