Sunday, November 08, 2009

To remembrance & to warn





How oddly disconcerting that our symbol of remembrance should be the Flanders poppy, at a time when it is the poppy fields of Afghanistan which have their part in contributing to the war which is killing so many today.

My father was not a religious man, but he always went to the Remembrance Day parade. It was the only time I ever saw him fighting back the tears.

I worked extra hard at polishing, pressing & whitening my Girl Guide uniform for the parade – especially for him, not to let him down, to show I cared. It seemed the least I could do.



Let us look for the sword next, to remembrance and warn us. As there is a time of peace, so is there a time of war; no prosperity lasteth always.



CHRIST'S TEARS OVER JERUSALEM Thomas Nashe
Link