Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Learning to do without crutches

Our economic models were our crutches, said one of the contributors to last night’s Analysis programme The Economist's New Clothes.


It is possible to come to rely on a crutch long after the need for it has passed. It may even be doing you more harm than good, as I have found out over these past several months having decided to dispense with the walking stick except for those times when I cannot even stand without it.

It was not doing my shoulder any good, & I think it probably was not even helping my back. It was just fear that made me carry it – fear of suddenly not being able to get on without it, fear of not being able to keep my feet in a strong wind, etc, etc, etc

Without it I walk straighter & taller.

And, if there is a sudden awkward problem such as steps to go down, I have learned to just ask for help.

It should not have come as a surprise, but young (or youngish) men are particularly considerate & concerned – if you ask.

So the moral for economists is ….