Thursday, September 03, 2009

Boys have all the best colours

I know little girls like pink. Pink is one of my best colours – suits my colour.

I am not, never was, one of those who thinks that a little girl should never have anything pink, on grounds of feminist principle. Nor do I think that extreme action needs be taken to terminate the pink phase of any little girl, old enough to make her preference plain.

But it has gone too far, way too far. Seems almost like protesting too much. About what?

There’s no need to start her off as nature intended with any-colour-you-like-as-long-as-it-is-pink pram (and every single one of its accessories), nappy bag, nappies, dummy, blanket, soft toy …

This was brought home to me in the childrens department of a major high street store the other day. Rack after rack of girls clothes – a whole variety of gorgeous designs, but almost every last one – pink.

Turn to the boys – they have an equally interesting range of designs to choose from these days. And any colour you like.

There may even have been a few with (a touch of) pink


Related post