Friday, July 31, 2009

A line of boys

It was Stockport Carnival last Saturday

I arrived in town just as the procession was making its way up the hill during a fortunate dry spell so I was surprised to find my eyes were moist as the brass band marched past

My nana & my mum always used to cry at brass bands.

As did many other women. In a good way – almost as good as Gone With The Wind

Perhaps it was the music

Or perhaps it had something to do with two world wars. Men marching off to war. Women too, of course, in my mother’s case


And then the death of Harry Patch was announced & I found myself, along with so many others, reflecting on what World War I meant for my family

My granpa – born in the same year as Harry Patch – volunteered at the age of 16. I do not know any of the details – he never talked about it, except to mention (almost fondly) the names WIPERS & GALLEY-POLE-EYE

By the age of 23 he was a proud husband & father. He had survived – seemingly unscathed - & spent a lifetime working as a cotton dyer & printer

When he retired he & Nana went on an awfully big adventure. Round the world

I, now living as a student in London, saw them off at Tilbury, together with horrible uncle. They were sailing away to visit their second son & his family, previously known only from letters & photographs, in New Zealand. They came home via Tahiti

They lived long enough to celebrate their Golden Wedding, & died within a few months of each other in 1975

Granpa was 5’ 3½“ tall


My other grandfather was a tall man – a Regimental Sergeant Major. He & G’ma married in Dover in 1915. He died young from a ‘bad chest’ which he got during the War, leaving a widow & 2 young sons

Oddly I cannot trace his death certificate. Either there is a secret here or – more likely I think – he died in Ireland, where G’ma came from