Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Aiming high

It is 20 years since the rules were changed & the Royal Air Force now has 12 female fast jet pilots. In September one of them will begin flying with the Red Arrows

Although I should love to be able to fly a small (staid) plane, try as I might I cannot imagine what it must be like, as a girl, to have such an ambition. Perhaps a good novelist could enlighten me

Which made me think that there seems to be no such thing as the ‘career novel’ for teenage girls these days. They used to be staples of the public library – district nursing seemed to be particularly popular.

The plot line was usually predictable: Bright eyed & bushy tailed young thing arrrives full of eagerness; confidence dented by the struggle with classroom learning under a martinet of a Sister Tutor; learns her place in the sluices; potentially disastrous error, rescued from the consequences by kindly Staff Nurse; LEARNS AN IMPORTANT LESSON. Wins through to qualify & become a respected & responsible member of society

At least for me at the time they offered a useful guide to what sort of qualifications & training you would need & what sort of life you might expect




Links