Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Social mobility

In the mid 80s when I was looking to buy a new flat, the estate agent told me that I would be able to get away with describing the new one as being in Holland Park

So much more desirable than Notting Hill where I was living in the next road but one. Up & coming but still a bit, well, bohemian, don’t you think

Well since then the old place has been turned in to an icon by a film, and the Wedgwood-Benn family mansion, on the posh south side of Holland Park Avenue, was described by New Labourite Cherie Blair as Notting Hill in Speaking For Myself

In fact Notting Hill now seems to stretch from the Shepherds Bush roundabout to Queensway (though not as far as Connaught Place) & from High Street Ken to Kensal Rise (MY dear! Not north of the motorway! Oh well, handy for Sainsbury’s I suppose)

***

I am convinced it is a most ridiculous thing to go around the world when by staying quietly, the world will go round you

Charles Darwin: Voyage of the Beagle