Friday, January 23, 2009

Nominal confusion

On the day that the story broke about the nickname used by Prince Charles (& others) for an Indian polo-playing friend I kept failing to catch what it was. I heard the s & the ee, but could not think what came in between

Well, my hearing’s probably not what it was & I was doing other things, & young people don’t pronounce their t’s properly these days do they?

When later at night a newsreader with nice clear diction made it plain, I was still puzzled. Why would anyone call a man suttee

Even when light dawned I could not see why Sooty the teddy bear puppet should be regarded as insulting

The point is that we frequently do not know how or why a nickname came to be used; words are freighted with associations & meanings & just because one of them might be considered by some to be insulting, does not mean that it is, or that we have any right to comment or object – just as most of us would not pass comment on the name given to someone by their parents, whatever our opinion of that



Link


Related posts