Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inauguration day

I just wanted to keep a note of some reactions to the inauguration

The Times had a behind the scenes supplement on Saturday, photos mainly by Callie Shell who has done a really impressive job. The image I found particularly touching was of Obama at breakfast in Blair House on the morning of inauguration. Just the body language of the almost-President & the butler with whom he is conferring speaks volumes

Another interesting example of Obama showing his ‘bi-courtesy’ when meeting the State Department can be seen on the Language Log - but watch the face of the young man in the front row who keeps turning round to see who is engaging so much of the President's attention


It was irritating to see some of the fashion writers comment that Michelle’s dress failed the test of making her look thinner. With all the worries about eating disorders, the fashion so-called experts should teach us not to judge a healthy 3-dimensinal woman by her depiction in 2 flat dimensions

I have always loved guipure lace – I used to be certain that when I grew up my wedding dress would be made from this. Even so, I had not realised that it was available in cashmere. Which makes Michelle Obama’s choice an even greater triumph. All those layers & holes trap enough air to insulate elegantly without bulk against the cold of Washington in January

I did not hear the speech so have no opinion about whether it was flat. I did think though that he looked a bit shell shocked for most of the day, almost as if he were thinking: Whatever possessed me to think I wanted this job?

But then I thought that look was probably the one I had on my face the evening of the day my first pregnancy was confirmed, when I realised that this much wanted, welcome event was truly the first irrevocable decision of my life. (There was no blue line in those days, just a standing instruction to wait 2 months before going to the doctor, so as not to waste his time over unnecessary alarms. And no legal abortion either)

The badge on the President's lapel is a special kind of White House security pass


Related post