Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Anti-smoking

This is one of those horror pictures from the back of a cigarette packet which is supposed to discourage, at least at the margin, some young people from taking up smoking


On the back of a packet of 20 it is about 2" square


Like all the other pictures which have been selected I find it almost impossible to make out what it is supposed to be unless I bring it up within focal range. Which I usually do not bother to do


But this one was lying, packet face down, some feet away, & I became intrigued, not to say startled


It actually looked like a young woman sniffing, with a degree of ecstasy, at a contraceptive, something which made no sense at all


Up close it still looks like a young woman. Otherwise my main reaction is how does one manage to blow smoke rings like that
Not that I have the least desire to learn how to do it myself, still less at or near a baby. But I should like to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting which discussed how the picture reinforces the message spelled out in words
Related post