Sunday, November 30, 2008

Coquettish pi

A poem by another poet new to me – Peter Howard

It was first published on the Snakeskin webzine and I saw it in Oxford Poets 2001

It makes me laugh

It is the latest addition to my haphazard collection of the poetry of mathematics

And it may be the only poem I have ever read which uses the word statistics

I used to twist men round my little finger.
They wanted me to be simple
to fit their idea of aesthetics
but I was a coquette. I trailed
an infinite series of decimal places
behind me, like a wedding dress
and wouldn’t lie down & be a proper fraction:
no square pegs for me. I got around:
diversified into magnetism, flirted with statistics,
insinuated myself everywhere.
I’m embarrassed to let you see me come to this:
raised to that upstart’s power, multiplied
by a clown I seriously doubt the existence of,
the result of a cheap trick, worth less than nothing


Two of his other poems in this collection which I particularly liked were This is a No Smoking Zone and Yromem (backwards memory), which could be read as a special poem for all those rocket scientists who failed to foresee the credit crunch