Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hedgehog Higgins

The English people are famous for their intolerance of mispronunciation, & I too can wince sometimes, though I generally would not dream of commenting or correcting or even just believing that my way is the right way. It is only personal taste – like broccoli, but less important

Many years ago I worked as a young assistant to a gentleman of the old school. One day I was in his office presenting my latest results with what we would now call a spreadsheet, but then called a schedule

The man kept going Sh! Sh! Sh! causing me to stop with an enquiring look, whereupon he gave a wave of his hand & said Carry on!

On about the third occurrence I had to ask him to explain

The word, he said, is not skedule

When I told my husband about this he advised me to tell him the one about Generals Eisenhower & Montgomery

Monty could not stand Ike’s pronunciation in their discussions of the timetable for the D Day landings

- I think you will find, General, that the word is pronounced shed-ule, not sked-ule

- Oh, that’s OK, General, replied Ike. It’s just that you & I did not go to the same shool

Well, I couldn’t. Not just because I would be too scared, but because any fule knowe that sch is soft before an e or an i, but hard before a, o or u

All this is just by way of introducing the fact that I am going to comment on someone else’s pronunciation

No less a person than Professor David Cannadine presented a Radio 4 Archive Hour on Saturday about the relations between the monarchy & the BBC

He astonished me by more than once, pronouncing the name of Lord Altrincham with a ch as in cheese, rather than a k sound. And this from a historian who has made a special subject of the aristocracy

I wonder how he pronounces the Cheshire town of that name?


Link