Thursday, September 04, 2008

Saving us from ourselves

A consultant in an NHS poisoning unit, speaking on Radio 4 the other evening, said that the limitations on the sale of paracetamol do not seem to have worked to bring about a long term reduction in the number of cases of deliberate self harm

I think I could have predicted that, although I was surprised when once I grumbled to the pharmacist about it, to hear that there had been a short term reduction

Even with the restrictions I could very easily acquire nearly 100 tablets in the space of minutes – from 2 supermarkets, 2 pharmacies & 2 newsagents in the shopping centre. If I were depressed & obsessed by thoughts of suicide I could easily build up a much larger stock – assuming I was not already aware (before this programme) of the grisly details of its effects

Which leaves the question: Even if limitations on sale brought about the slightest reduction in harm, is it be worth putting hundreds or thousands or millions of sensible, careful people to (relatively) minor, but cumulatively quite major, irritation & inconvenience?

I used to buy bottles of 100 at a very low price. I do not take very many or very often, but it does mean that there are always sufficient, sitting safely high up in the cupboard, to see us through a bout of flu or some cause of pain. The other big advantage is that you see at a glance how many are left & are constantly reminded when it is time to buy more

Blister packs are a confounded nuisance.

Expensive. Excessively packaged.

Some are very difficult to open.

Many of the rest are just the opposite – if you put a strip in your handbag the foil rubs itself off & you are left with dusty pills littering the lining

And it is easy to reach the end of your supply without realising it, to be deceived by the way that the strip still looks full. Nothing left for an emergency