Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Potent music

Interesting juxtaposition of listening last night. At 11.30 I listened to Suzie Quattro interviewing Bobby Vee on Radio 2. Ah me! He belonged to the age of pop when I was in my early teens, when it can all seem so special & just for you. Take Good Care of My Baby

A nice man. He got rather eclipsed in the Beatles era, but has had a good career &, as he says, still maintains a certain degree of anonymity, can walk down a street etc

When the programme finished I was reflecting that in so many ways the music you listen to at that age stays poignant forever. I was that crucial bit older for the Beatles so my reaction was not nearly so emotional. Anyway, they were so big, they were everybodys. Even The Times got in on the act. Grown ups were not supposed to do that.

The pop music from the time just before retains the ability to be much more personal. Mine

It was also interesting, listening on my not very high quality bedside radio, to hear how the voice was very much in front & on top in those recordings, the music almost a whisper behind

Then I switched over to Radio 5 to find a discussion on whether the Beatles are overrated. All the participants were too young to have experienced the impact live as it were, & Iain Dale made my point about the crucial factor of age by claiming that Abba were better

Incidentally Rachel Burden has been a revelation filling in on this spot. She has been doing a superb job, just right for that time of night