Thursday, June 12, 2008

A long time in politics

Harold Wilson said a week was a long time in politics. I am wondering just how long 14 days are going to turn out to be

Fourteen days is of course the difference between 42 and 28

Nothing I have heard has brought me any closer to understanding why so much should be being staked on a mere fortnight

Voting games are an unavoidable, even essential, part of democratic electoral politics. Part of the reason why people like me, not good at such games, could never be a politician. Which is not the same thing as despising them all

But knowing when to cut a deal, knowing which short term advantages might in the long term be disastrous, calls for superb political & moral judgement – another reason why I could never be a politician

I think we are all left scratching our heads on this one

When I heard the news about the vote & the role of the DUP on the radio after I got home yesterday I was immediately reminded me of something I half heard during PMQs last week. I had been getting ready to go out, not really paying attention, so I was startled to hear the phrase direct rule being used once again

This is the Hansard record:

4 Jun 2008 : Column 770.

Sammy Wilson (East Antrim) (DUP): The Prime Minister will be aware of the Sinn Fein threat to bring down the Northern Ireland Assembly tomorrow. I am sure that the irony of republicans wishing to reinstate rule from London will not be lost on the House, or on the people of Northern Ireland. Will he give an assurance that the Government will not cave in to this blackmail, and that in the event of direct rule having to be reintroduced—something that my party will do its best to avoid—the Sinn Fein agenda, which it has not been able to persuade the Northern Ireland Assembly to adopt, will not be adopted by his Government or the House?


The Prime Minister: The hon. Gentleman can be absolutely sure that we will stick to the policies that we have pursued. I can also tell him that I have had talks with the leaders of all the parties in the Administration in Northern Ireland; I hope that we can move forward tomorrow, and that the new First Minister will be nominated, as will the Deputy First Minister. I believe that that can and will happen. I would also like to take the opportunity to thank the retiring First Minister, who is not with us today, for all his efforts on behalf of the peace process and on behalf of reconciliation. He truly has made a historic contribution to the future of Northern Ireland.



I cannot say I am any the wiser