Thursday, June 12, 2008

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

I have 2 reasons for feeling some sympathy for whoever left the secret documents on the train

The first is that I am chronically absent minded & have left many things on trains

The second is that I was once, many, many years ago, responsible for a SERIOUS BREACH OF SECURITY myself

If I told you what the SECRET was, you would laugh

My punishment, under a ‘warrant’ signed by Sir Humphrey himself, was that for 28 working days I could not go home at night without signing a special register, in front of a witness, to say that I had checked that all my cupboards were properly locked. Failure to do this would itself be a further BREACH OF SECURITY & disciplinary proceedings would follow

At the time there was a bit of a panic about leaks. The Secretary of State joked that he thought The Guardian must be being printed in our basement

I have thought carefully about whether to go in to details. But old habits die hard, discretion is the better part …

In other words I am a coward

There is probably a statute of limitations on offences under the Official Secrets Act. But strictly interpreted (as it then was) it would not just be me who was committing an offence

You would be guilty too, just for reading it. I have only your best interests at heart

In the world of security, paranoia rules