Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Design of The Times

Well, well. When I wrote about The Times use of pictures recently I did not know they were on the verge of a major new design

I really like this one, at least in the main paper. Not so sure about Times2 – it looks a bit dizzying to my eye, though they have done a good job with the puzzles at the back. More than can be said for the main crossword however. Funny how much trouble these cause to newspapers, but I suspect they are going to have to amend the layout soon so that solvers can do it on their lap

Most newspaper redesigns seem to be more or less a private initiative between the Editor & a Designer, imposed upon staff as well as readers, & usually in for a grumbly reception. This one seems to have involved staff right across the paper in a real co-operative & unpompous rethink about how the information is organised, so that now it seems to make much more sense & is much easier to navigate

I particularly like The Daily Universal Register. The slightly tongue in cheek but historically deferential name. The amusing & useful mixture of information

And of course, the pictures & (generally) non-strident use of colour


STOP PRESS: Word spellchecker does not recognise the word grumbly


"Dear Lord, please let me have retired long before we tinker with the crossword again" - Sally Baker, Times Feedback 7 June 2008