Thursday, May 01, 2008

Microwave smells

I have been wondering why Sainsburys use micro-wave only trays for their Super Natural ready meals. Is there something ungreen or unhealthy about using a conventional oven?

At least it is simple to decant the meal into an earthenware dish for cooking

You cannot do the same with their individual sponge puddings. I forgot that these are microwave or steam only on about 3 occasions. The last time I just thought What the heck & gave it a go in the oven. With predictable results

So I hope I will always remember in future to buy a sponge pudding from one of the other supermarkets who provide the option of conventional oven cooking

Many moons ago when I was considering whether to buy a microwave a friend said Before you get one you will wonder what on earth you are going to use it for; after you get it you will wonder how you ever managed without it

Well, at the last house move it was left behind as part of the fixtures & fittings

I can see the point if you have a family – being able to keep plenty of bread in the freezer & defrost on demand is a great boon if you have teenagers

But otherwise they seem of very limited use. I find home cooking with it fiddly & more trouble than it is worth (even though it saves on washing up)

Most of all I find the ritual & time taken to prepare a meal, even if it is just reheating a ready meal, somehow an important part of appetite. Pinging & wolfing down in the space of a few minutes just does not appeal

I discussed this after the move with another friend

Its because you cant smell it, she said. My son cannot eat meals from the microwave for that reason

Of course