Thursday, May 22, 2008

Champions days

I am surprised at how pleased I am that United won in Moscow – I don’t take much interest in football

In so far as I do ever call myself a fan, it is of course of United. I was born in Manchester, it was the nearest big city to where we lived, & my grandpa was committed to the team. We always had to keep quiet when the results were read out on the wireless at Saturday teatime

I was also surprised at the evidence of how much it meant to the people of Stockport when I went to do my shopping yesterday teatime. Not groups of noisy men outside pubs, but a real family affair. It was all the red shirts which gave it away

I saw one 40-ish couple. The tight red shirt did nothing to flatter the mans torso. His wife was dressed in a lime green shalwar kameez & a black cardi. Both were in high good humour

A family group. Dad, two older children, & a girl of 4 in red shirt, black socks & what may have been football boots – don’t they look like slippers these days. As they turned in to the shopping centre the little girl decided to run around & up the ramp, giving Dad a momentary conniption as he realised she was not with them. I am sure she had a ball at her feet as she ran

Mother & daughter in the checkout queue: So where are you going to watch the match then?

Two middle aged ladies in the coffee shop, bemoaning the absence of any kind of parade: They are punishing us for what the Rangers supporters got up to. We’re not like them