Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mr Stone & the Knights Companion

The first book of VS Naipauls which I read was The Mystic Masseur. A Vincentian flatmate had a copy of the then brand new paperback which was eagerly passed around. Not a book to read on the tube

The second was Mr Stone & the Knights Companion. A book which you rarely, if ever, see mentioned in articles or profiles of Naipaul

I have never reread the book but the impression which it made was profound. For one thing I was astonished that the young man who wrote such a side splittingly authentic (so my friends assured me) tale of a Trinidadian Hindu pandit could write such an affecting story of a lonely old English man

It was many years before I got around to reading Mr Biswas. Then I understood much better

Link: A Short, Painful Life