Friday, January 11, 2008

Shopping downturn

I was in Primark in Manchester on Wednesday. I have never seen it so empty of people before

It may have been just one of those days - weather not great, children & students just started a new term, credit cards all maxed out with Christmas

I was hoping to buy a pretty sweater to keep me warm in gloomy February, but no luck. The pretty ones were all too short & skinny - wont cover my kidneys & dont trap that vital layer of air for extra insulation. The bigger cardigan thingies were all a bit too cutting edge for me. To be fair though, I did see more than one group of girls exclaiming with delight at the clothes on offer

I tried the mens department - just moved downstairs into the space which used to be occupied by TKMAX. Even more gloomy & hopeless. But perhaps all the extra space is what makes it look so thinly populated. One of the till counters was closed however, so sales must be slow. Reminds me of the days after Christmas, when there were loads of families out & about but no queues at the checkouts in any shop I went to

On the train I saw a woman carrying a Primark plastic bag. Does this mean they have abandoned the brown paper ones, or was she just re-using an old one?