Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Putting ones foot down on psychosomatic disease

I had my first really clear experience of mind over matter well over a quarter of a century ago now

Because of a nasty ulcer on the ball, I had been only able to walk on the side of one foot for weeks. When it healed, I found that, try as I might, my foot would no longer go flat to the floor. Putting a heavy book on top did not help, nor did the best exertions of friends make it go down

The person we then still called the District Nurse had been dressing it regularly for me. I had one last appointment for her to check that there was absolutely no sign of recurrence

I know this is a silly question, but how do I make my foot go down?

She giggled, always a good sign. Well, this sounds like a silly answer. It may take a while, but each time you want to walk, you will just have to think Heel! Toe! Heel! Toe!

I was walking normally before I got across the floor of the room to the door