Monday, January 07, 2008

Hip fracture & energy efficient light bulbs

Let me add to the list of horrors to come when we all have to go over to so-called efficient light bulbs

I hear they are slow to light up fully & provide only a dim light anyway. So they will pose a particular danger to the elderly, especially on the stairs. If you cant see properly you are much more likely to fall & fracture your hip

More seriously, has anybody checked that the level of illumination they provide is sufficient for elderly eyes to read by in comfort?

Even more seriously, will I have to replace all my light fittings? The energy saving website shows only 4 makes of bulb with bayonet fittings, available from only a restricted range of stores. Ironically it is now a good number of years since I decided to settle for bayonets in the interest of thrift & economy, since I was fed up of never having a spare bulb of the right type. I also rely mainly on table lamps, never got seduced by spots, just for ease of access (& safety) when a bulb needs to be replaced. I guess I wont have to worry about whether a low energy bulb might set fire to a lampshade, but its very difficult to tell, just by looking, at all the new shapes, whether they will fit under a shade or not