Thursday, December 20, 2007

More gifts for difficult boys

I suppose I was musing on this because I have a 12 year old to buy a gift for this year. Much the same situation, not a relative - the son of a neighbour who is very good company

I was thinking of cash & novelty value, & how increasingly people have to count it out a bit slowly, when required, because they dont get much practice nowadays. I considered getting rolls of different coins, rather than just £2s, with a little poser like How many different ways can you make up £1.38. Which takes the smallest number of coins?

Well there are boys who would enjoy that kind of thing, but not this one I guess

He is interested in landscape however. We had an interesting discussion the other week, in the wake of our mini-floods, about the pattern of valleys & how & where water flows. So I think an Ordnance Survey map of the Peak District might absorb him. I shall have to check with Mum first though