Saturday, September 08, 2007

Zig zag

Yesterday mid-day I was standing at the bus stop waiting for a bus into town

A young man approached & asked me if I was going far. I didnt know him at all so we fenced a bit - me not prepared to give anything away till I knew what he was after

Turned out he had a Zig Zag to sell - that is, the local version of an all-day bus ticket

Hasnt he heard of the elderly persons bus pass? or did he just think I dont look old enough?

I was surprised. Not by the enterprise as such - common for years in the city - but by the fact that it had arrived in the village

But then, since the last fare increase, a Zig Zag is now cheaper than the standard return fare for even a simple there & back trip to town. For those who have to pay, that is. So anyone who has completed their return journey has a potentially saleable commodity on their hands

I regret now that I said no straight away. I should have found out the price