Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Romantic books for boys

When I looked at The Dangerous Book For Boys I was instantly transported back to my Junior School days when I understood something which I, & perhaps most of us, have been in danger of squashing & suppressing

Male romanticism

Summed up perfectly in both the title & the content of the book

Male romanticism consists in
  • being brave
  • fighting evil
  • rescuing damsels in distress

There may be faintly, in the background, an awareness that rescuing fair maiden may - aw shucks - bring reward

Oh - & dont forget the magic of machines

Also pretty well summed up, now that I think of it, in the Cadburys Milk Tray ads of a few years back

For girls, the romance lay in the box of chocolates

For boys, romance lay in abseiling down the mountain

And it is a sad but true fact, that boys can sometimes make the same mistake as the hunter tom who proudly lays a dead field mouse or shrew at your feet. In the expectation or receiving your gratitude & admiration for his prowess