Monday, July 02, 2007

A criminal? Me?


Compare & contrast:


Why should I be fined & get points on my licence for doing 37 mph in a 30 mph zone?


Why should I be labelled antisocial or worse for bunking off double maths with boring Miss Jones & 40 unruly pupils?


Why should I lose my licence when I had only a couple of glasses of chardonnay & was perfectly fit to drive?


Why should I be sent to prison because I couldnt afford to pay my poxy tv licence fee & I never watch BBC programmes?


Why should I be subjected to a swingeing fine & have my car towed away just because my residents parking permit was a few days out of date?


Why should me & my friends be stopped & searched by the police just because we were having a bit of a laugh on the street corner/ in the shopping centre/ in the bus station?


Why should the scandal of mothers of 2 or more cot death children being jailed for murder end only after the publicity given to the cases of an Oxbridge educated solicitor & a graduate pharmacist?



The public (electors) when questioned about law & order in London express a strong preference for a) more police with b) a visible uniformed presence on the street & c) a zero tolerance of minor quality of life crime. Why then are traffic wardens/parking attendants, who fulfil all 3 criteria, so universally hated?

Thanks to an Economist columnist, quoted in The Times c 20 Jan 2001, for this last