Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Eleven +

I passed mine. Mr Slack, our class teacher, gave out the results. I ran, too fast, all the way down the hill to tell my mother. Who took it very matter of factly

Of course I am grateful for all the opportunities it gave me. What on earth would life have been like if I had failed?

But I had friends who did, & didnt deserve to. And what if the tests had been in things I would never be really good at? Singing, ballet, drawing, ball games? No matter how hard I practised

*****
Iwas showered with gifts - which may well have doubled up as presents for my 11th birthday later that summer
My parents gave me a proper grown up office size desk. Bought at auction, polished up & repaired, with new brass handles
A great aunt gave me her ancient Raleigh Ladies Sports bicycle
My grandparents gave me a proper fountain pen, with a gold nib
Another great aunt gave me a ladies wrist watch - small, gold, with 9 diamonds
I felt rather guilty about all this spoiling