Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tall cranes


Miracles of modern engineering. Things of beauty. And power. And awe. Rock solid, perfectly balanced. Seemingly pared down to use the minimum of material. As delicate as the tracery on any medieval rose window.

Im very glad Im not the one who has to get the sums right to make sure they stay upright

There are plenty gracing the Manchester skyline right now

During the second great hurricane to hit England in recent years - '90 or '91 - I was working in an office on the 17th floor. The winds began really to pick up around mid-day & I observed the operator of a crane on the adjacent building site begin to make his cautious descent

I dont know why he was up there in the first place - the winds had been forecast. No Michael Fish moment there

I soon had to leave my office. I had been trying not to look, but my eyes kept being pulled towards the window. Like watching a car crash in slow motion

But he did make it down safely