Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A cold snap

Some people are suggesting that this winter may turn out to be as cold as that of 1947. I do hope not - I can remember that one

We were pretty much snowed in - not that much traffic came down our lane anyway. The milkman came with a horse-drawn van, but I dont think he could make it throught the snow

I do remember my father bringing the District Nurse round - he pulled her along on a toboggan. She was a story book nurse, all bustling & round, brisk, cheery & competent. She used to wear a uniform coat of dark brown gaberdine & matching round brown hat with a flat turned back brim, not unlike the woolly ones in fashion now

I can also remember going out on some expedition, sitting on the toboggan with my mother sitting behind holding on to me tight

And it was cold & there was no electricity & our prefab was made from asbestos which provided almost zero insulation