Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Random reflections on Reading The Times Books supplement Saturday 11 November

Jeanette Winterson Our disconnection from the Earth is pushing us towards extinction Oh dear!.....

Vintage chart 1965 a momentous year for me a surprisingly literary list not too much to my taste the only one I have read is AJP Taylor later in paperback I remember sitting reading on the bus to work & being astonished at how small was the geographical area covered by WWI battlefields......

Why didnt somebody notice the 2 howevers in the 1st sentence of the extract from the Ashes book?........

Sad to see Johnson Beharrys book apparently not doing well ....quel surprise

Sassoon - people really did use to make thick down strokes & thin up ones! Despite my teachers best efforts I never mastered that art of angling the nib correctly.....

Not in the mood for Fergal Keanes emotion, or for masonic conspiracies .....

Wordsworth & Coleridge - lovely portraits I suppose it is clear enough which is which......

Palin & Rhys Jones ouch! Both in the same week.....

Must have a look at the Gladstone/Disraeli book......

Simon Blackburn the review tells me (more than) all I want to know......

I increasingly admire Jane Shillings deceptively simple prose (thats not an estate agents deceptively spacious) must read this food book....

Hurrah! a good audio review for Beharry......

Doesnt (didnt?) William Styron look like Dick Francis!......

I did love the 2 Mishimas I have read - & didnt he write Woman on the beach? but, unusually flinch from finding out more about the life of an author......

1491 at last glad to know this exists but does not sound like A Good Read. And yes, of course modern environmentalism is just 'naive therapeutic (?not sure about that) nihilism' - German Romantic Nitzchean fascism......

I must be psychic! Skimming through the Doctorow (whom I tend to confuse with Caleb Carr) - admiring but thinking hes too much like hard work - & how does the review end?.....

Now for the Xword & Sudoku

Thats the end of my annoying habit of reading out bits commenting on the paper which you cant see


flobbadob